The first moments following an auto accident can be extremely hectic and confusing. If you are involved in a collision, our auto accident attorneys advise you to take the following steps immediately to ensure that you protect your legal rights. Here are some recommendations as to what you should do following a car accident.
- Dial 911 – In Florida, a police report must be completed after all auto accidents if property damage exceeds $500 or if it involves an injury or death. Call 911 to report the accident and make sure to advise the 911 operator of any injuries.
- If possible, move your vehicle to the side of the road and turn off your ignition. Try to stand clear of the accident vehicles while calling for help to avoid injury in case the cars are hit again. If parties are injured, do not attempt to move them unless they are in immediate danger.
- Our Florida car accident attorneys always recommend that you avoid admitting fault or discussing fault with others involved in the collision. You should always try to avoid confrontation and cooperate fully with law enforcement and/or rescue personnel.
- Exchange information with all parties involved in the collision without discussing or admitting fault. Make sure to write down registration numbers, drivers license info, and insurance info.
- Check for witnesses to the auto accident -obtain witness contact information (including work and home phone numbers). Don’t assume the police will write down all the witness information.
- If you are experiencing any pain, seek immediate medical attention (even if you feel the injury is minor).
- Make sure to photograph your vehicle (before repairs are completed) and injuries sustained from the crash. If you have a camera available at the scene you may want to photograph the crash scene and vehicles involved in the collision.
Above all, protect your rights. You are not required to give statements to the other party’s insurance company. While you should cooperate with your own insurance company, you may want to consider consulting one of our Jacksonville auto accident attorneys before giving a statement. Give us a call (800)251-1111 or fill out our convenient online form at harrelldev.wpengine.com if we can be of any assistance or just answer a few questions.