Steps To Take After An Accident With An Uninsured Driver

After Accident With Uninsured Driver

Florida law requires all motorists to have a minimum level of car insurance in order to legally drive. Unfortunately, more than 25 percent of drivers in the state ignore this law and drive uninsured.

If you have an accident with an uninsured motorist, and you have uninsured motorist coverage under your own policy, there are steps you can take so that you can collect damages from your own insurance company.

What To Do If You’re Involved In An Accident With An Uninsured Driver

Many of the steps you would take following a car accident are the same steps you should take following a collision with an uninsured motorist.

What to do at the scene of the accident:

  • Get medical attention for those who are injured.
  • Get the name and the driver’s license of the driver of the car that caused the collision.
  • If the driver leaves, get the license plate number of the car. If this is not possible, at least get a description of the car including the make, model, color, and any descriptive information you can.
  • Call the police. If the car leaves, do not endanger yourself by following or chasing it. The police will do their best to track down the culprit.
  • Wait in a safe place for the arrival of the police.
  • If there are witnesses, try to get their names,contact information, and statements.
  • Take photos of the scene of the accident as well as of the damage to your car.

What to do as soon as possible:

As soon as possible, make your own written statement about what happened. Include as many details as you can about how the accident occurred. Note exactly where the accident occurred, whether there were traffic lights or a stop sign, what you observed the other driver doing, and any other information that seems relevant.

Before you report the accident to your own insurance representative, seek the assistance of an experienced personal injury attorney. Remember: Agents work for the company, and their mission is to save their company as much money as possible. An experienced attorney can make all the difference in the case of a collision with an uninsured driver.

For assistance, contact us at Harrell & Harrell. We will guide you through the process and work with your insurance company to obtain for you a settlement that will cover the damages you suffered. Contact us by phone at 251-1111 or visit us at our website to schedule a free consultation.