Each year across the United States, adventurers and adrenaline junkies purchase some 230,000 all-terrain vehicles, also known as ATVs or off-roading vehicles. Speeding across rough terrain, slinging sand, mud and rocks is an increasingly popular activity, including here in Florida. But the fun comes with significant risks.
Consider these statistics from the Consumer Product Safety Commission:
- Just over 13,040 deaths from ATV accidents were recorded by the CPSC between 1982 and 2013. That figure reflects an average of 622 deaths each year.
- Of those killed, 3,023 – 23 percent – were children age 15 and younger.
- In 2013 alone, 99,600 people were treated in emergency rooms for ATV-involved injuries. Of them, 25 percent where children 15 and younger and 15 percent were admitted to hospitals for continued or more intense treatment.
- Twenty-three percent of ATV-related injury victims suffer broken bones.
- Worse, just under 30 percent of victims suffer potentially devastating head and neck injuries including traumatic brain injuries, whiplash and fractures.
Off-roading is clearly a thrill for many. But if your next adventure ends in injury or loss caused by someone else’s negligence or a product defect, know that you may be entitled to compensation. Call 800-251-1111 to schedule a free consultation with a personal injury or product liability attorney with Jacksonville’s Harrell and Harrell.