Jacksonville Beach Personal Injury Lawyers
The attorneys at Harrell & Harrell are dedicated to helping injured people in and around Jax Beach get the compensation they deserve. We know how important fair compensation can be to rebuilding after an injury, and how daunting that process can be. We want to make it as simple and stress-free as possible to get the help you need, so we offer free consultations. To schedule your consultation with an experienced Jacksonville Beach injury attorney, call 904-251-1111 right now, or fill out the contact form on this page.
What is Personal Injury?
Personal injury law generally covers any negligence-based injury claim. Some of the most common examples include car accidents and other motor vehicle accidents, slip and fall injuries on someone else’s property, and pedestrian or bicyclist injuries. Some other common negligence-based claims people don’t always immediately associate with personal injury include nursing home negligence claims and negligent security cases.
To establish a negligence-based injury claim in Florida, the injured person will typically have to show that:
- Someone breached a duty of care, such as the obligation to operate a vehicle safely,
- That the breach of that duty–in this case, the negligent driving–caused the accident, and
- That the injured person suffered damages as a result
Many personal injury lawyers, including the Jax Beach accident attorneys at Harrell & Harrell, handle a variety of related cases as well. These include:
- Medical malpractice cases, which are based in negligence but apply a specific standard and have different procedural requirements
- Workers’ compensation cases, in which injured workers can secure benefits even if the employer was not negligent
- Product liability cases, in which the manufacturer of a defective product that injures someone is typically responsible even if they were not negligent
- Wrongful death cases, which may be negligence-based or based on an intentional act, and are procedurally different than a personal injury case
Do I Need a Jacksonville Beach Personal Injury Lawyer?
If you’ve been seriously injured in a car accident or in some other way through someone else’s negligence, it is generally in your best interest to contact a local accident attorney right away. Some of the reasons it’s to your advantage to hire an injury attorney as soon as possible include:
- Interacting with insurance carriers after an injury can be a minefield. Part of the insurance company employee’s job is to gather and document any information–or even passing comments–that might help them deny your claim or reduce the amount of compensation you receive. An experienced Jax Beach personal injury lawyer will understand how insurance companies operate and know how to protect your claim.
- Simple, everyday actions may put your case at risk. Though most people don’t realize it, small things like photos or the story of your accident posted in social media can come back to haunt you in court–or even in negotiations with the responsible party’s insurance carrier. Your injury attorney can help you avoid those pitfalls.
- Proving liability and establishing damages can be tricky, and sometimes requires expert witnesses. An experienced personal injury lawyer will have the knowledge required to build an effective case, and will know how to locate and work with the best experts available for your case.
- Setting your claim prematurely can hurt you later. If you’ve been out of work recovering from your injury and are faced with a mountain of medical bills, a quick settlement can be tempting. Some insurance companies count on that. If you accept a settlement before you know the full extent of your damages, you may end up without compensation for expensive medical care or other losses.
The Jax Beach injury attorneys at Harrell & Harrell know how important it is for you to have knowledgeable guidance and an experienced, dedicated advocate. We handle personal injury cases on a contingency basis, which means you never pay attorney fees unless and until we negotiate a settlement or win a verdict for you.
Damages in a Jacksonville Beach Personal Injury Case
If you’ve been injured because someone else was driving under the influence, texting while driving, or otherwise negligent, you probably want to know how much compensation is available. There’s no one-size-fits-all answer to that question, and no personal injury attorney can tell you exactly how much compensation you will receive or guarantee a result.
Some of the most common types of damages awarded in car accident cases and other personal injury cases include:
- Lost income from being unable to work or having to cut back on work during recovery
- Diminished future earnings if the injuries are permanent or long-term
- The cost of medical care received and anticipated future medical care
- Non-economic damages such as loss of quality of life
You should also know that factors other than the extent of your injuries and losses can affect your personal injury settlement or verdict. For example, your award may be reduced if you were partly responsible for your own injuries. And, if you fail to follow medical advice or otherwise aggravate your own injuries, that may impact the outcome of your case.
When you consult a Jax Beach injury lawyer, the attorney will be able to provide you with additional information about the types of damages that may be available in your specific case. Your attorney can also advise you in more detail about how to protect your claim as your case progresses.
The Best Time to Get Legal Help is Now
The sooner you connect with an experienced Jacksonville Beach personal injury attorney, the better. Getting involved in the case early will give your accident attorney the best opportunity to gather evidence, talk to witnesses while memories are fresh, start off on the right foot with the insurance company’s attorneys, and help insure that you don’t accidentally damage your case. And, of course, getting started sooner can mean wrapping up your claim sooner–and that can mean a quicker path to regaining financial stability after an injury.
To schedule your free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer, call 904-251-1111 right away. Or, if you prefer, fill out the contact form on this page and we’ll be in touch.