Personal injury law is a complex multi-faceted legal field. And it’s a busy one! According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control’s National Center for Health Statistics, there are 32 million emergency room visits each year due to injuries – nearly 180,000 of which result in death.
When a person’s actions or negligence causes injury to or the death of another, it can be difficult to measure the losses. For injured victims, medical care and costs can persist for years. Lost wages and future loss of earning capacity also demand compensation, but a fair amount is not easily calculated. And of course, there is no dollar amount that can make up for the loss of a loved one.
Personal injury attorneys with Jacksonville’s Harrell and Harrell specialize in helping victims secure fair compensation for their losses in the event of a serious injury or death. Among the top PI claim types are:
- Traffic / Auto Accidents: More than 6 million traffic accidents occur annually in the United States. These involve not just motor vehicles, but bicyclist and pedestrians as well. And America’s growing addiction to their smart phones and other mobile devices mean roadway accidents are on the rise.
- Workplace Injuries: Upwards of 3 million non-fatal workplace injuries are reported each year. Another 5,000 are fatal. Today’s tight economy and scarcity of jobs mean the actual rate is likely much higher, as many employees are afraid to report injuries. But depending upon the severity and frequency, injuries to necks, backs and limbs can significantly reduce a victim’s ability to continue making a living.
- Assault: The U.S. Bureau of Justice reported more than 2 million simple assault cases in 2010 alone. Many of the resulting personal injury claims come in conjunction with other issues including domestic violence, drug or alcohol abuse or workplace violence. But it’s not just bodily injury that assault claims cover. Victims often can seek damages for emotional distress as well.
- Slip and Fall: Each year, more than 8 million slip and fall accidents happen, with upwards of 540,000 resulting in disabling injuries. They’re the single most common reason for emergency room visits and can cost an average $28,000 in medical and physical therapy bills, and lost wages.
- Products Liability: Unsafe medical devices, defective furniture and electronics, faulty children’s toys – all have led to product liability claims numbering an estimated 20,000 filed each year, and they’re among the costliest. Products liability cases have the second highest median damages awards, averaging $300,000 per claim.
If you or your dependents suffer bodily hurt due to the actions or negligence of another, contact an experienced personal injury attorney immediately. Jacksonville’s Harrell and Harrell, with offices throughout Northeast Florida, in Orlando and in South Georgia, specializes in PI cases of all types. Contact us at 800-251-1111.